Wednesday, October 18, 2006

[CR Switzerland] Day 04

September 20, 2006
Villars - Gstaad - Gruyeres - Villars


Breakfast call: 7.30 AM * Departure: 9.00 AM

A scheduled departure of 9.00 AM gave us a leisurely waking up, and I must say that this child of the tropics couldn't have asked for a better place for such an activity. We were given a room with a view of Villars below us and high mountain country above, already touched with early (?) snow. From the sound of the morning greetings, it seems everyone had enjoyed a good night's sleep, and we were ready to roll long before the departure time rolled around.

Elmar was ready to greet us as we filed out to the bus, explaining as to how there were going to be minor adjustments to the seating arrangements. Once we'd gotten seated, it became obvious why - as Elmar elaborated while we were tweaking ourselves, nine seats had been taken out of the coach during the night. Ueli and a crew of two mechanics had played the role of industrious elves and adjusted the seats. This meant everyone had more legroom (as promised by the brochure) and that the single travellers would have to sit with each other (in this case, our Irish Joe and California Jack). I wound up sitting with James, the youngest member of our tour at 13 years of age, and a more pleasant seatmate would be hard to find.

Interestingly enough, this day was more leisurely than some "leisure days" I've experienced on other trips. The drive through the country was nice and easy, giving us good views on either side of the road. The sun was out, gilding the mountains and making the wood of the various new chalets glow warm and inviting. We saw a few trains making their way through to Gstaad, chugging along the mountain tracks past little villages clinging to precarious heights.

We pulled into Gstaad in time for our morning break. As soon as Elmar had finished with the admin details - things like needing 1 franc to use the public washrooms, or otherwise teaming up to hold the door open, and the call time for departure - he led us to the start of the main street and set us free to walk where we would.

The early morning light was perfect for taking pictures, and never was I so grateful to have invested in a digital SLR before the trip! Honestly, words fail to describe the way the soft light brought out the charm of the old structures, every flower box filled with blooming things, and some houses flying three flags for country, canton, and town. My particular favorite of the photos from Gstaad is that of "Rosie the Calf", a statue of calf about to drink at a public water trough.

One of the things Dad had brought with him from Manila was the remainder of a slight cough. We found an Apotheke and I asked the pharmacist's advice on what would be suitable. After consulting Dad, we settled on a syrup, and all was well. Ma was in her element consulting the make-up shelves while we were waiting, and enjoyed herself thoroughly.

A quick check of our pocket money showed us that we needed to visit a bank, and so we paid a courtesy call to the local branch of Credit Suisse before strolling back down towards the bus. We popped into a couple of the local stores, and I had to smother some chuckles at the sight of Elmar and Ueli sharing coffee on the open terrace of the the hotel that Elmar had recommended. Their seat had a perfect vantage point for keeping an eye on the group as they filtered back towards the parking lot. It would seem from their easy camaraderie that they've worked together quite a few times before, and that bodes extremely well for the rest of the trip.

The group is quickly establishing a good reputation for punctuality, if not being before the time; we were settled in the bus at least three minutes before departure. This allowed us to get to Gruyeres with time to spare before lunch, in blazing sunshine combined with just the right amount to chill to keep me from breaking into a sweat. Elmar walked us down the main street, but once we got to the end, my parents passed on going up to the castle - I could hear Ma starting to wheeze a bit on the incline going up to the top of the main street, and that was a gentle slope.

So we strolled back down the main street, and found a nice place to eat with a commanding view of the main street. I would have preferred eating in the back terrace, with its view of the castle, but the parents said it had too much afternoon sun. So we spent lunch on the front terrace, with plenty of time for me to enjoy one of my favorite occupations as a writer: people watching!

The family lunch consisted of Alpine chowder for Ma, fried trout for Dad, beef medallions with pasta for me (what can I say, I was hungry). We shared a plate of three assorted cheeses along with the main course, and then split a bowl of fresh raspberries with Gruyeres cream for dessert. Service was good since we had sat down to order before the main lunch crowd arrived, but paying the bill was an exciting affair, what with Dad making it known that time was ticking, and wasn't that Elmar heading back toward the bus...?

Ha. We made it in good time, with many assurances to the very rushed and flustered young lady who served us that we understood perfectly what it was like during the lunchtime rush - and oh, please tell the kitchen the meal was lovely! I even had time to take a quick photo of a man who was playing the alpenhorn, right below the terrace where we'd been eating

As promised, we were back at the hotel by 3.00 PM. Elmar gave us a little orientation of Villars as we drove through the main street, pointing out the hotel's access ramp to the town. Once I had settled the parents down for a short nap, and after freshening up, I was bounding out the hotel door to explore the town before dinner.

Apparently was the first one down, and managed to bump into everyone while on my ramble. First it was Loretta and her husband Kee Teong at the far end of the main street. Then Elmar who was heading in the general direction of the post office while I was on my way downwards. Joan and Doug on their way down from the hotel. Andrew on my way up after a little adventure I had on the main street.

There was this beautiful dog who seemed lost; it came charging up to me with expectant happiness that turned into disappointment when it realized I was not its owner. Fortunately, the shopkeeper in front of whose store I was standing, managed to latch on to the dog as it came up to her, and searched through its tags. She said something to her assistant, who then picked up a phone and started to call someone - so I guess the storekeeper had found a number engraved on one of the dog’s tags. As I was walking back to the hotel, I was hoping that he’ll be reunited with his owners very soon. It was a really lovely dog - black, with brown and white markings, and a healthy, shining coat. A much-loved creature, by the look of it, and later I was to learn that it was probably an Appenzeller dog.

Returned back upstairs to find the parents up and about and much refreshed by their nap. Shared the events of my walkabout with them as they got dressed for dinner, and then spent another few minutes out on the balcony before we went down. At heart, I am a country girl who loves wide open spaces, be it at the beach or in the mountains - give me space! Dining rooms are all very fine, but I need a good dose of fresh air before bedtime.

Tonight's dinner was another included meal, like last night. Only this time, we were sharing the room with a huge group of people (or more likely two groups of people) and the noise level was something interesting! Exchanged some banter with Elmar when he greeted me in French, the perfect excuse for me to answer in my schoolgirl French - which apparently passed muster, as I managed at least three sensible phrases before the exchange ended!

The kitchen produced a good meal, one guaranteed to keep me moving about for at least an hour or two afterwards in the room, to get it all settled properly. Checked on the state of my handwashed items, took everything out of my suitcase (again!) and repacked it, spent at least half an hour in the bracing air to look at the stars and hum Christian praise music under my breath - that's the kind of "high" I was having!

Tomorrow, morning call is at 6.30 AM!

No comments: